Melbourne Commercial Electricians Logo

(03) 9123 6457

What Are the Common Electrical Hazards at Home?

The common electrical hazards at home are overloaded power points, frayed wires, and water near electrical sources. Old wiring systems and unattended electrical appliances also pose significant risks. Identifying these dangers is essential for upholding a secure home setting.

A skilled electrician in Melbourne would stress the need for frequent electrical checks to avert these dangers. Being conscious of these risks helps in establishing protective strategies, thereby reducing the chances of electrical mishaps.

In this post, we’ll discuss the electrical hazards common in many homes today.

Overloaded Power Points

Overloading power points is a prevalent issue in many homes. This happens when multiple appliances are plugged into one outlet, often using adaptors or extension leads. The excess electrical demand can cause the power point to overheat, leading to a fire hazard. It’s important to distribute electrical devices across different outlets and avoid relying too heavily on a single point.

In addition to this, regular checks of power points for signs of wear and tear are advisable. If an outlet appears discoloured or emits a burnt smell, it should be inspected by a qualified electrician immediately. Keeping power points within their capacity is not just about safety; it also extends the life of your electrical system.

Obtaining an electrical certificate of compliance is essential for confirming the safety and integrity of these installations.

Frayed Wires

Frayed or damaged wires are another common electrical hazard. They often occur due to ageing, improper handling, or pets chewing on cords. Exposed wires present a significant risk of electric shock or fire. It’s vital to inspect cords regularly for any signs of damage.

If you discover frayed wiring, replacing the cord or repairing the appliance is important. Never attempt to fix electrical wiring yourself unless you are a trained electrician. A simple rule to follow is to keep cords away from high-traffic areas to prevent damage and ensure they are not under rugs or furniture, which can cause overheating.

Water Near Electrical Sources

The presence of water near electrical sources is a serious risk. Electricity and water are a dangerous combination, leading to the possibility of electric shocks. Keeping all electrical appliances and outlets away from water sources like sinks, bathtubs, and pools is crucial.

In the bathroom and kitchen, ensure you use appliances designed for those areas, equipped with safety features to handle moisture. Always dry your hands before handling electrical devices. If you notice any water spillage near electrical sources, turn off the power at the main switch before attempting to clean it up.

Old Wiring Systems

Old wiring systems, typically found in older properties, are not designed to handle the electrical load of modern appliances. These systems can deteriorate over time, increasing the risk of short circuits and electrical fires. Periodic inspections by a licensed electrician can help identify any potential issues.

Upgrading old wiring is more than a safety measure; it’s an investment in the longevity and efficiency of your home’s electrical system. If you experience frequent circuit breaker trips or flickering lights, these might be signs that your wiring system needs attention.

What Are the Common Electrical Hazards at Home_

Unattended Electrical Appliances

Leaving electrical appliances unattended is a hazard that’s often overlooked. Items like irons, hair straighteners, or space heaters can overheat if left on for extended periods, posing a fire risk. Switching off and unplugging these appliances when not in use is essential.

Regular maintenance of appliances ensures they are in good working order and do not become hazards when left alone. It’s also wise to be cautious with older appliances, as they might not have the same safety features as newer models.

What Should I Do If There’s an Electrical Hazard in My Home?

You should switch off the power to the affected area if there’s an electrical hazard in your home. You can do this by heading to your fuse box or circuit breaker and deactivating it once it’s safe.

The next step is to keep a safe distance from the problem area and avoid direct contact with parts like exposed wires or damaged appliances.

Finally, get in touch with a qualified electrician so they can address the problem right away.